Monday, May 20, 2024

Worldcoin Officially Launches, Expands Orb Rollout to Over 35 Cities

Worldcoin, the revolutionary decentralized biometric ID protocol, has successfully launched its platform, enabling users to reserve their portion of WLD, the protocol’s incentives-driven token. These tokens will be granted to individuals upon verifying their identity through the use of a biometric device known as the “Orb.” Furthermore, Worldcoin has exciting news for its users as it plans to expedite the deployment of Orbs in more than 35 cities.

Supported by Sam Altman, CEO of OpenAI, Worldcoin’s official launch took place on Monday after being in development for over three years. The platform is now open to the public, with a global vision of attracting 2 billion users worldwide.

Worldcoin comprises two main components: World ID, a decentralized identity protocol that leverages individuals’ irises as a foolproof verification of their identity, employing specialized Orbs for this purpose. The second component is World App, which allows users to receive WLD, the native token of the protocol, as incentives and manage these resources with an internal wallet.

Regarding this significant milestone, Altman expressed his thoughts:

“Worldcoin is an ambitious endeavor aiming for global scale alignment. The journey will be challenging, and the outcome remains uncertain. Nevertheless, finding new ways to equitably share the forthcoming technological prosperity is a crucial challenge of our time.”

As part of the issuance, 75% of the initial 10 billion WLD tokens will be distributed to users, while the remaining 25% will be retained by Tools For Humanity, the team behind the Worldcoin concept, and its investors.

To be eligible for the WLD tokens, users must undergo an identity verification process by having their irises scanned by an Orb. In a bid to accelerate the growth of the platform, Worldcoin announced the rollout of more than 1,500 Orbs across various cities, with a focus on countries that have shown interest in the Worldcoin proposal. For instance, Spain will experience a 3x expansion due to over 150,000 users who have already registered during the initial testing phases.

However, the rollout in countries like Brazil and France will be more limited. Notably, Worldcoin will not be available in the U.S. for the time being due to regulatory uncertainties.

With over 2 million users already signed up using World ID, the platform expects to add more than 40,000 new registrations weekly with this latest expansion.

We would love to hear your thoughts on Worldcoin and the reported Orb rollout. Share your opinions in the comments section below.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about decentralized biometric ID protocol

What is Worldcoin and what does it offer?

Worldcoin is a decentralized biometric ID protocol that aims to provide secure identity verification using individuals’ irises as a “proof of personhood.” The platform offers two main components: World ID, the decentralized identity protocol, and World App, which allows users to receive incentives in the form of the native token WLD and manage these resources with an internal wallet.

Who is behind Worldcoin?

Worldcoin is backed by Sam Altman, the CEO of OpenAI. The project had been in development for over three years before its official launch.

How does World ID work?

World ID utilizes specialized biometric devices called “Orbs” to verify an individual’s identity using their irises. By registering with World ID and getting their irises scanned, users can reserve their share of WLD tokens, the incentives-driven native token of the protocol.

What is the purpose of the Orb rollout?

The Orb rollout is an expansion initiative by Worldcoin to deploy more than 1,500 Orbs in over 35 cities. This move aims to accelerate the growth of the platform and attract more users to sign up with World ID.

How are WLD tokens distributed, and who owns them?

Of the initial 10 billion WLD tokens issued, 75% will be granted to users, while the remaining 25% will be owned by Tools For Humanity, the team behind the Worldcoin project, and its investors.

In which countries will the Orb rollout be focused?

The Orb rollout will focus on countries that have shown interest in Worldcoin’s proposal. For instance, Spain will see a significant expansion due to the substantial number of users who have already registered during the initial testing phases.

Can users from any country sign up with World ID?

For now, Worldcoin will not be available in the United States due to regulatory uncertainties. However, users from other countries can sign up and participate in the platform.

How many users have already signed up with World ID?

As of now, more than 2 million users have already signed up using World ID, and with the Orb rollout, the platform expects to add over 40,000 new sign-ups weekly.

What is Sam Altman’s vision for Worldcoin?

Sam Altman sees Worldcoin as an attempt at global scale alignment, aiming to find new ways to broadly share the technological prosperity of the future, though he acknowledges that the journey will be challenging and the outcome uncertain.

More about decentralized biometric ID protocol

Newsletter

Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. Let's stay updated!

Leave a Comment

* By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

Follow us

CryptokenTop

CrypTokenTop is a website dedicated to providing comprehensive information and analysis about the world of cryptocurrencies. We cover topics such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, NFTs, ICOs, and other popular crypto topics. Our mission is to help people learn more about the crypto space and make informed decisions about their investments. We provide in-depth articles, analysis, and reviews for beginners and experienced users alike, so everyone can make the most out of the ever-evolving world of cryptocurrency.

© 2023 All Right Reserved. CryptokenTop

en_USEnglish