According to a recent survey, approximately 66% of Africans surveyed reported exposure to digital assets like bitcoin, but a staggering 82% of respondents claimed to have never owned any form of cryptocurrency. The study’s findings suggest that the adoption of cryptocurrencies is more prevalent in impoverished African countries compared to wealthier nations such as Kenya and South Africa.
Impoverished African Countries Lead in Crypto Adoption
A research firm called Kasi Insights conducted a study revealing that a significant 82% of surveyed Africans have never possessed any form of cryptocurrency. Among the remaining 18%, only 8% of respondents admitted to being digital asset holders, including bitcoin. In contrast, 66% of participants acknowledged exposure to cryptocurrencies, but a mere 8% claimed to possess a substantial amount of exposure.
The report’s authors highlight these findings and others to challenge the prevailing notion that African residents have wholeheartedly embraced and adopted cryptocurrencies. Additionally, these findings refute widely held beliefs about the level of adoption within various African countries. For instance, the report points out the contrasting levels of crypto adoption observed in different nations.
“Kenya, often referred to as the ‘Silicon Valley of Africa,’ and South Africa are not as prominent in the African crypto market. Instead, we have noticed that poorer countries, such as Namibia and Angola, exhibit higher adoption rates, awareness, and usage,” stated the report.
Government Support as a Catalyst for Adoption
The survey’s results, gathered from 19 African countries, also suggest that government support and endorsement are crucial for achieving widespread crypto adoption. The report urges participants in the crypto market to establish relationships with local authorities in order to raise awareness and influence favorable regulations.
Demographic Breakdown of African Crypto Users
Regarding the demographics of African crypto users, the study reveals that millennials constitute the majority, accounting for 60% of the continent’s crypto investors. Conversely, the baby boomer generation represents a mere 1% of African crypto investors. The survey data also indicates that men make up 54% of African investors.
Motivations for Investing in Digital Assets
When asked about their reasons for investing in digital assets, one-third of crypto investors stated that their primary motivation was to generate quick profits. Approximately 28% of respondents claimed they became crypto investors to diversify their investment portfolios, while 17% cited the fear of missing out as their motivation.
To receive weekly updates on African news, register your email here:
African Crypto Newsletter
We invite you to share your thoughts on this story in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about crypto adoption
What does the study reveal about crypto adoption in African countries?
The study reveals that crypto adoption is higher in impoverished African countries compared to wealthier nations like Kenya and South Africa.
What percentage of surveyed Africans have never owned crypto?
Approximately 82% of surveyed Africans have never owned any form of cryptocurrency.
Are African countries widely embracing and adopting cryptocurrencies?
Contrary to popular belief, the study challenges the notion that African countries have widely embraced and adopted cryptocurrencies.
Which African countries exhibit higher crypto adoption rates?
The study highlights that poorer countries such as Namibia and Angola show higher adoption rates, awareness, and usage of cryptocurrencies.
What role does government support play in crypto adoption?
The findings suggest that government support and endorsement are essential for achieving mass adoption of cryptocurrencies.
Which demographic group leads in African crypto investors?
Millennials constitute the majority, accounting for 60% of African crypto investors, while the baby boomer generation represents only 1%.
What are the motivations for investing in digital assets?
The motivations vary, with a third of investors seeking quick profits, 28% diversifying their portfolios, and 17% investing out of fear of missing out on opportunities.
More about crypto adoption
- Study: Crypto Adoption More Significant in Poorer African Countries
- Kasi Insights
- Kenya and South Africa’s Crypto Market
- Government Support for Crypto Adoption
- Demographics of African Crypto Users